St John of God Bunbury Delivered Antenatal Service
This service is open to women with private health cover wishing to have their baby at St John of God Private Hospital Bunbury – from 13 weeks gestation and continuing throughout pregnancy.
Once your pregnancy has been confirmed and a dating scan has been performed, the mothers-to-be can ask their family GP to make a referral to Vestrum Obstetrics and Gynaecology for antenatal care.
Run by our obstetrician and Kate, our experienced practice midwife, the women of the South West can have all their maternity care with Vestrum – even all pregnancy ultrasound scans.
Importantly with this model of care, should your low risk pregnancy become high risk, Vestrum will be able to manage the remainder of your care as a high risk patient at no extra cost.
Dr Liddiard who has made a significant contribution to High-Risk Obstetrics in Bunbury is very excited to be able to offer this service.
Dr Liddiard has a Diploma of Diagnostic Ultrasound (DDU) which means that not only does she scan to a very high standard, she also produces comprehensive reports and is able to use her skills as a specialist to act on any abnormalities.
Included in your pregnancy management fee will be scans at 28 and 34 weeks as a minimum.
Please take time to view what Vestrum Ultrasound for Women/Ultrasound is all about.
Frequently asked questions
- Midwives are a profession dedicated to preparing you for the journey from early pregnancy until the birth of your baby and just beyond.
- Upon booking with our obstetrics team you will be provided with comprehensive information about how to care for yourself and your growing baby through your pregnancy.
- Our special appointments card has been specifically designed to map out what you need during your time with us. This will include all your midwife appointments, specialist appointments and ultrasound scans. This will allow you to better understand your and your baby’s journey from the very first visit. You will also be supplied with a National Pregnancy Patient Record – “handheld notes” which allow comprehensive communication between health practitioners.
- Midwives can prove to be a wealth of knowledge as well as a calming and reassuring companion during your journey to parenthood.
- With a specialist obstetrician constantly available for an opinion, your needs and your baby’s developmental needs will be monitored and cared for throughout your entire pregnancy.
- Through a partnership between midwife and specialist obstetrician Vestrum has been able to significantly reduce the costs of having the very best and most extensive care available. Please contact us directly to find out more.
Midwifery led shared care is generally only available to women with low risk and some higher risk pregnancies. Please call our reception team and we will be able to advise you. If your pregnancy becomes high risk, then we are still able to continue your antenatal care and care in labour.
You can choose us at Vestrum:
- From the moment you are pregnant
- To have an early pregnancy scan with us at 8 weeks
- Or visit our midwife from 13 weeks gestation
By 20 weeks we would hope that you will be confident and well informed enough to make that decision. This is because Bunbury Hospital would like antenatal patients booked in before 20 weeks. If you have just moved into the area or had difficulty deciding we will always do our best for you.
Vestrum have structured its public delivered shared care package in such a way that the costs are highly comparable to GP obstetrician led care and much less than the private delivered sole care model. It is always worth comparing what each care provider offers along with costs for total care including ultrasound scans before making your final decision.
Please contact Vestrum for a fee schedule for more in depth information, either through our website, by popping into our reception or by giving us a call.
Most uncomplicated deliveries at St John of God Bunbury are undertaken by the excellent midwifery team on the birth suite. Your specialist will oversee your labour, aim to be present at the birth and will intervene if specialist help is required. Please note that the cut off for delivery in Bunbury is 35 weeks.
As a specialist obstetric practice this is certainly something that we can offer you. An elective Caesarean section is arranged for 38-39 weeks depending upon the indication for surgery. Emergency Caesarean sections are also carried out by our specialist.
- Vestrum has experienced midwife led care, meaning you will be well informed throughout your pregnancy.
- A Vestrum obstetric specialist will be directly responsible for you throughout your pregnancy, helping to provide specialist insight when needed.
- Vestrum was started by Dr Liddiard and is co-located with Vestrum Ultrasound for Women – a service that aims to provide a high level of diagnostic ultrasound reports for obstetrics and gynaecology patients. Having both ultrasound and antenatal care on site allows seamless continuity of care.
- Our aim is to provide you and your growing baby with well managed care; having a strong influence over all the parts of your care allows us to do so. We endeavour to empower you with the knowledge and confidence that will allow you to make the correct decisions for you.
- When it comes to the time of your baby’s birth, a specialist will be available to assist if necessary – once again, allowing seamless continuity of care.
All midwives, GP Obstetricians and Specialist Obstetricians are able to provide antenatal care. A select group of midwives and GP obstetricians can book you into your chosen hospital for delivery of your baby – you will need to check. Specialists also have admitting rights to the hospitals and with GP Obstetricians, take part in an emergency on-call service. Most specialists are also practising gynaecological surgeons.
Midwives look after low risk pregnancies and GP Obstetricians look after low and some higher risk pregnancies. Specialist obstetricians are able to care for both low and high risk pregnancies and can manage all eventualities during your delivery – although it is worth noting that the cut off for delivery of babies in Bunbury is 35 weeks. Effective management of your pregnancy and these difficulties during birth can influence things such as the health of your baby and how quickly you recover from the birthing process.
Due to their more extensive scope of practice, specialist obstetric care is generally the most expensive model of care. Vestrum offers our midwife services supported directly by a Specialist Obstetrician. We strongly feel that this will provide you with excellent care at a much more affordable level.
Vestrum offers our midwife services supported directly by a Specialist Obstetrician. We strongly feel that this will provide you with excellent care at a much more affordable level.
Hopefully we have answered many of the questions that you may have had but please contact us if you need any further answers.